UPDATE: Two arrests and police officer in hospital following Hyndland ‘disturbance’

By Ellen Thomson at

A police officer suffered serious injuries after a car was driven at him in the West End.

The 36-year-old constable was hurt during a disturbance in Hyndland.

Police Scotland said plain-clothed officers had been in the Devonshire Gardens area as part of “an ongoing investigation”.

Police cordoned off Hyndland Road

Police cordoned off Hyndland Road at Devonshire Gardens. Photo: David Baxendale

Social media footage captured some of the dramatic scenes at Devonshire Gardens at around 5.50pm on Tuesday.

One video showed a struggle involving several people around a silver Mercedes car that was parked in the lane.

Police said two people were arrested – a 53-year-old man and a man aged 30.


The older man was also taken to hospital with serious injuries.

In the footage, a man is shown being forcibly removed from the driver’s side of the vehicle.

The person is forced to the ground where it appears he is restrained by what appear to be plain-clothed police officers.

Hyndland Road incident

Police Scotland said they were called to reports of a disturbance at around 5.50pm. Photo: @KirstyMacleod5

The video also appears to show other people restraining someone else who appears to be in or behind the car.

The second person is not visible on the video.

The two-minute video shows passersby giving assistance to what appear to be police officers restraining the people from the car.

Other photos show the scene later cordoned off by police.

Officers are seen to examine the car.


A number of police vehicles and ambulances attended the scene, which is close to One Devonshire Gardens Hotel.

Detective Inspector Clark Hill, based at Govan CID, said: “Plain clothed officers were in the Devonshire Gardens area of Glasgow as part of an ongoing investigation when a disturbance happened around 5.50pm on Tuesday, 21 July, 2020.

“During the disturbance, a car involved in the investigation was driven at one male officer.

“The constable, aged 36, was taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

“A 53-year-old man was also taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries and he has been arrested.

“A 30-year-old man has also been arrested. Enquiries are ongoing.”